[clug] VNC and MythTV

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Tue Sep 16 22:51:56 GMT 2008

Not strictly on the subject, but related...

I think I mentioned a little while ago the problems I'd been having with
teevee tuner cards. I recently bought another for my Kubuntu (Hardy) box
and, as had happened previously, it would only tune SBS stations (though
my dedicated set top box brings in all the stations without any
problems). I gave up and, looking at other things, installed Xubuntu
onto the box containing the tuner card. While I wasn't doing it for
teevee purposes, I ran up Kaffeine just for the hell of it and fired up
the tuner - and it tuned all the channels.

Figuring that the card had suddenly started working, I put Kubuntu back
on - and again, nothing but SBS. Replaced Xubuntu - all stations tuned.

What could possibly be happening here? I tried every setting I could
find, tried different teevee software, nothing worked. Yet simply
swapping to Xubuntu enabled detection of all available channels.

WTF?

Fred