[clug] Buying CF/IDE adaptor from e-bay store

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Sun Sep 14 06:47:47 GMT 2008

> Has anyone got firsthand experience of CF/IDE and/or e-bay cheapies?
> Any direct experience of friends doing this?

I bought a CF -> SATA converter which was detected by the computer and
by Linux just fine. However, it is DOG slow. In fact unusably slow.
Running 'top' shows that the kernel is spending most of the time
waiting for access to the drive. This was with standard Ubuntu ext3
install - I think using ext2 would improve the performance and turn of
atime, but I never got around to testing it.

Also get as fast a CF card as you can!

-c