[clug] ASUS Eee PC 1000 solid state with LINUX

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 09:10:49 GMT 2008

I have an eeepc 900.  It has the 20GB SSD which is really 3 "disks" or
is that 3 partitions.  I'm not sure what the real different is between
an SSD hard drive and a flash memory card anyway.  My eeepc came with
Xandros which is a fairly broken distro which sits on top of debian.
It can be customised a bit and if you're familiar with apt is
relatively easy to add stuff to but is kind of single user.

I installed ubuntu/eeebuntu hardy on a 4GB SD card which I have in the
built in card reader.  It works fine except that it doesn't sleep like
the preinstalled xandros does.  It may be to do with having ubuntu on
a USB memory card (something about "persistent USB"?).  I've tried
lots of things but have yet to get suspend to work.  Well I should
say, suspend might work but unsuspend doesn't.

Since I use my eeepc mainly to read books, the suspend function is
critical to me.  Maybe others have solved that problem.

The other thing is more cosmetic but something I'd like.  The
particular version of the ubuntu touchpad drivers don't do 2 finger
scroll.  I like two finger scroll.  I'd like to get that working too.