[clug] [Offtopic] Mains voltage fluctuations

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Sep 2 10:38:16 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, jm wrote:

> States "As of 2000, the mains supply voltage specified in AS 60038 is
> 230 V with a tolerance of +10% -6%[3]. This was done for voltage
> harmonisation - however 240 V is within tolerance and is commonly found.

Hah.  How about that.  I'd always used 240V :)  Loooks like they're
withing standards, but that's a huge tolerance.

> Voltage swings could be a problem with a cheaper unit or one made for the US

It wasn't an "expensive" unit, but I wouldn't consider it cheap, either.
It's a Yamaha RX-V2500.  To stray *further* off-topic; is it just me, or
do we pay far too much for these things in Australia?  RRP in US: US$1099
RRP in AU: AU$2499.  Here's a more modern example: RV3800
AU$2499/US$1699.95
(http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/avit/htavreceivers/RX-V3800B.asp
and
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558316&CNTYP=PRODUCT
)

> market and then adapted to the australian market. Do you have a "known good"

Unfortunately, no.  My current plan is to leave it on for the time being
;)

> unit to compare to? How about borrowing a UPS and testing with that to see if
> that eliminates the problem?

Well.. turns out my "spare" UPS is bung, and is in need of recycling.  My
other one is firmly in use.

> Jeff.

Thanks,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.