[clug] [Offtopic] Mains voltage fluctuations

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Sep 2 09:39:35 GMT 2008

All,

 	I'm wondering if anyone else here is noticing a significant
variation on the mains power voltage in Canberra (Flynn, in particular).

 	Measuring with my power meter, I'm seeing the voltage vary between
241V and 251V over the course of a day.

 	I'm *thinking* these voltage problems are what's causing my A/V
Receiver to be unhappy.  The fault is intermittent: it turns on, but shuts
down somewhere between 2 and 10 seconds later, before emitting any sound.
It was doing it last night when the measured voltage was 251V, but it
started up and ran fine this-morning when the measured voltage was 243V.
The problem doesn't *seem* to be temperature.

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.