[clug] One Laptop Per Child open day (sort of)

Darrell Burkey president at case.org.au
Fri Oct 24 03:35:00 GMT 2008

I work with a local non-profit organisation here in Canberra that may become involved in some future One Laptop Per Child projects here in Australia.

For some time we have been looking for an opportunity to give the public a chance to see, play with and hear about how these amazing little machines are being used to break the cycle of poverty around the world by supporting educational activities. But hey, the mesh networking, python based apps and advanced technology are also very cool.

So we decided that before our AGM this year that we would put a few out for display, let some people know about it and see what happens. As you can probably tell it's a highly organised event. :-)

I have no idea who will show up or what will happen. But if CLUGers would like to come by for a play or to speak to the great unwashed about the wonders of open source technologies that would be great and you are more than welcome.

The event is at our office in Belconnen, ACT. We are co-located with Volunteering ACT at 55 Chandler Street (corner of Chandler and Cameron Streets) next to the Labor Club.

Here's the plan:

3.00pm to 5.00pm - Play with One Laptop Per Child Computers

5.00pm to 5.30pm - Leading FOSS advocate Pia Waugh will give a short presentation about current OLPC activities/projects in Australia

5.45 to 6.30 - CASE 2008 Annual General Meeting

More info on our website at http://www.case.org.au

Hope to see you there.