[clug] Firefox plugin or special proxy software to archive my browsing history?

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:29:32 GMT 2008

2008/11/21 Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au>:
> I'm fairly sure my situation isn't unique - I look up stuff on the
> Intarwebs, thinking "wow that's useful!" So I bookmark it on Delicous. Then
> I head off to my girlfriend's place (she has no phone line, much less
> broadband) or off to the coast, a friend's farm or one of Steven Conroy's
> concentration camps where there is no Internet access. I whip out my laptop
> to squeeze some development time in, only to find that I didn't perfectly
> memorize the content of interest.
>
> Looking at the Firefox Add-ons site, there's a plugin called "Slogger"[1].
> Unfortunately using Slogger requires using Firefox. I'm not about to try
> writing a plugin manager for wget or LWP that will let my command-line
> applications use Firefox plugins.
>
> So I keep looking... there's a package called "MM3-WebAssistant"[2], which
> seems like it does just about exactly what I'm after. But it's written in
> Java and using it makes me feel dirty.
>
> Can you think of any package that can store copies of every web page I visit
> for later recollection? Bonus points if it make online/offline transition
> seamless, so I can run the software all the time and configure my laptop web
> browser(s) to use this software all the time! Triple bonus (physical
> challenge!) if it provides some means to search the archive.

Have a look at beagle[0]. Supports searching browser history, no mention of
storing a cached version though.

[0]: http://beagle-project.org/

Also try Google Desktop[1]. Supports browser history and does cache index
items for later use. I'm not sure if this works for web pages but it's
worth a look.

[1]: http://desktop.google.com