[clug] The 1st Internet Tax is here.

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Nov 12 23:36:15 GMT 2008

On 13/11/2008, at 10:25 , Seth Turnbull wrote:

> On another note. 3rd party payment gateways were mentioned in a
> reply. Does
> anyone recommend from personal use a 3rd party company/gateway?

SecurePay is one that I've had experience with:
   http://www.securepay.com.au/

You buy credit card transactions in "lots", say $6000 for 10k
transactions.

It's expensive at first blush, but it's cheaper for small businesses
than hiring your own staff to manage payment collection services (and
that was before PCI).

The PCI standard is a good thing, IMO. On one level, it's ensuring
that credit card transactions are more secure, on the other hand it's
making credit card transactions more expensive so people will be more
likely to use cash at a bricks-and-mortar store.

Alex