[clug] Kubuntu 8.10 first impressions

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:54:29 GMT 2008

> Crippling is not really what I think they are doing.... But same as Apple
> and MS hiding a lot of thing they think users wont want to see...
>
> I hated having to go in and hack config files to get both gnome and KDE2 to
> look and feel the way I want it too....  KDE 3 fixed that. But so far KDE 4
> seems to be a huge backwards step.... I have yet to see functions that would
> entice me to it. Simple things like moving where the plamsa widget sits, not
> there... changing the panel font without freaking the rest of the desktop,
> not there, So much that should be there is just not there... you get the one
> theme and if you don't like the font in the list drop downs, tough....

I actually really like most options being hidden as long as there is either
an obvious or a well documented way of getting to the "advanced" options.
Something like Firefox's about:config hits that nail on the head perfectly I
reckon. 99.9% of what even advanced users make use of is under the standard
preferences dialog, but there are still about 100 times more options in
about:config. I think Gnome does something similiar (is it gconf?) maybe KDE
is moving in the same direction?