[clug] Ubuntu 8.10 first impressions

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 11 05:18:00 GMT 2008

Hello to all

I concur with Andrew on this.

I took a punt and allowed the upgrade on my el cheapo Acer Aspire
notebook. The nett result was every feature embedded in the notebook bar
one works without intervention including my usb DVB dongle. Prior to
this I could have DVB or a Web Cam but not both. The only thing in the
whole setup that still refuses to work is the built in card reader and
XD memory cards. Other cards...fine...XD no!

Issues with screen brightness, control of the cooling fan, on board
microphone have disappeared OTB. Even Vinagre works reliably now.

Is it worth a shot?...I think so. Yet another positive step forward for
the ubuntu team. For those lamenting Kubuntu 8.10, simple solution....go
GNOME!!!! ;-)

May you all win the lottery

Regards

--

*Ian Bardsley*

Phone: +61 0423 195 927 (mobile only)

E-mail: ifb777 at tpg.com.au <mailto:ifb777 at tpg.com.au>

Web: http://ozybard.homeip.net/fridgedoor

Skype: mumnian.......On Line 8pm – 11pm Aust Eastern Daylight Saving
Time (0900 Hrs – 1200 Hrs GMT)

/<<< [That which you accept is all you can ever expect to receive] >>>/