[clug] F/OSS Alternatives

Grant Baldwin Grant.Baldwin at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 27 00:13:19 GMT 2008

Without knowing what you are using MATLAB & Maple for, it is difficult to
recommend replacements. They are both very large software suites covering a
range of roles.

As previously mentioned, there are several MATLAB clones for numerical
linear algebra: Octave & Scilab in particular. However, for hardcore
numerical linear algebra Python & NumPy are where people are looking.

If you are just using maple for symbolic algebra, consider Axiom.

However, if you are using either for their higher or toolboxed functions, I
doubt you'll find an acceptable alternative.