[clug] F/OSS Alternatives

Jason j.lee.nielsen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 23:52:02 GMT 2008

Hi Matlab and maple are available for Linux (though definitely commercial)

you could try scipy as a matlab alternative:
http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users

We use a commercial application called eagle for our circuit board design (apparently although I'm just a programmer).

http://www.cadsoft.de/

Seems this is an area that doesn't have a lot of high quality floss software.

So how to people feel about commercial software on a floss platform? Is this a good thing or is it a open everything or we don't want to know philosophy. If there is a quality floss alternative I will use it. As a programmer who likes to eat I have a hard time believing that my company shouldn't be profiting from my hard work and I am willing to pay for a good quality piece of software that lets me do my job easier. Don't get me wrong if I thought it wouldn't hurt the company I would be pushing to open all of our code but then the only difference between us and our competitors is some rather simplistic hardware.

Hatter of freedom

Jason