[clug] IPv6 Australia?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Jul 23 10:03:53 GMT 2008

Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> I guess the thing is that IPv6 connectivity isn't very useful until
> there is IPv6 accessible content. My experience indicates that there is
> very little of that at the moment.

There's no content because there are no viewers and it costs extra for
content hosts to maintain the IPv6 infrastructure. Extra cost, no
benefit => no action.

There are no viewers because there's very little content and no IPv6
enabled home routers and it costs extra for ISPs to maintain the IPv6
infrastructure. Extra cost, no benefit => no action.

There are no IPv6 enabled home routers because there are no consumers
willing to pay for them and it costs extra for device manufacturers to
include IPv6 support. Extra cost, no benefit => no action.

I really want to see IPv6 succeed because I hate NAT, and it comes with
IPSEC features for free. It has cool factor and useful features for
nerds but very little commercial benefit. I think it'll take the
inevitable IPv4 address crunch to motivate anyone, and even then it may
not happen. If the Internet becomes a predominantly broadcast medium like
TV, only broadcasters will need real addresses and the rest of us plebs
can live behind NAT and keep viewing like good little consumers.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au