[clug] Any 'triple boot' experts on list? (Vista, XP, Linux)

oofo boydwilding at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 03:14:56 GMT 2008

I dual-boot 8.04 and vista with no issues. Vista installed first, then your
choice of linux.

For a while, I did have a triple boot config on another machine, but it
depended on the order of OS installation as to whether you ended up in boot
manager hell.

XP was installed first, Vista second, and linux third. I had no problems
with this setup.

Effectively you end up with nested boot menus.

GRUB (or LILO) owns everything, gives you the initial menu choice of either
windows or linux. If you choose linux, off it goes. If you choose windows,
it then gives you the vista boot menu which will then list Vista and XP.
Make your choice and off you go.

The only real problem was when I attempted to remove Vista from the
triple-boot machine.

I had to use the vista-only app EasyBCD (as someone mentioned earlier) to
completely remove vista and its boot loader.