[clug] Fit for purpose?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Jul 4 04:40:48 GMT 2008

On 04/07/2008, at 11:47 , Pilcher, Fred wrote:

> Abiout a month ago a colleague of mine bought a nice desktop system
> from
> Dell which came, of course, with Vista. She was complaining to me
> about
> how awful it was

My experience with Microsoft Windows Vista is that the "Luna" window
manager is worse than the worst X11 Window System window manager I've
ever encountered. I can't even do stuff with Windows Vista that I
could do with XP, because I don't know where to find the feature I'm
looking for - my assumption has to be that the feature is no longer
available.

Yes, I'm biased - I use a Mac, running Mac OS X. Apple has put a lot
of effort into making the window system simple yet usable. Apple
focuses on usability, Microsoft focuses on cramming in more bells and
whistles. In the Linux camp, it's almost like there's 100,000
different people working on it (but at least they try to make it
usable).

Which reminds me, I feel that Fred Pilcher's friend missed the
obvious third solution - install Ubuntu and run legacy applications
using Crossover, VMWare or similar. Easy enough for me to say, I
guess, since I haven't actually done it.

Alex