[clug] S.M.A.R.T message for hd failure

David david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Jan 31 10:47:48 GMT 2008

Joshua Worth wrote:
> I just started getting a message today that my hard drive was failing...
>

> It doesn't look good, but I saw on a forum that it might be lying to me
> but I cant be sure. This message was appearing when I had an extra 80
> gigabyte drive in my computer, but after taking that out and doing some
> tests, it turned out to be fine. I am using OpenSuSE 10.3 X86_64
> Is there a way I could fix this without destroying any data?

It's a warning and the hard drive may or may not fail in the near
future.  The difference between now and normal operation is that the
odds have skewed in the direction of imminent failure.

If the data on there is not critical, you are happy with it dying in the
future and you are a bit tight in the cash department then you could
just keep using it and see what happens.

Personally I wouldn't want to risk my data in such a way for the price
of a new hard drive and would replace it as a precaution.

My understanding is that these warnings relate to hardware failure, so
you can't fix it in the software.

David