[clug] S.M.A.R.T message for hd failure

Joshua Worth joshua at worth.id.au
Thu Jan 31 10:28:11 GMT 2008

I just started getting a message today that my hard drive was failing...

    Broadcast Message from
    root at racer
            (somewhere) at 19:46

    <b>Your hard disk drive is failing!</b> S.M.A.R.T. message:
    Device:
    /dev/sda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending)
    sectors

    Broadcast Message from
    root at racer
            (somewhere) at 19:46

    <b>Your hard disk drive is failing!</b> S.M.A.R.T. message:
    Device:
    /dev/sda, 1 Offline uncorrectable
    sectors

    Broadcast Message from
    root at racer
            (somewhere) at 20:15

    <b>Your hard disk drive is failing!</b> S.M.A.R.T. message:
    Device:
    /dev/sda, ATA error count increased from 95 to
    125

It doesn't look good, but I saw on a forum that it might be lying to me
but I cant be sure. This message was appearing when I had an extra 80
gigabyte drive in my computer, but after taking that out and doing some
tests, it turned out to be fine. I am using OpenSuSE 10.3 X86_64
Is there a way I could fix this without destroying any data?

Here is the forum I looked at:
http://suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=42621

--