[clug] Re: reviving BarCampCanberra

Simon Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Thu Jan 24 02:49:32 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 19:56 +1100, Stephen Collins wrote:
> Pascal
>
> On Jan 22, 2008 11:57 AM, Simon Pascal Klein <4pascal at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > To add to all the awesome stuff planned this year, I was thinking of
> > resurrecting the thought of BarCampCanberra which we wanted to run last
> > year, postponed and ultimately never went ahead with.
>
> Thanks a bunch for prodding us on this one.  I think it's critical
> this year that we get a BarCamp happening in Canberra.  I have had
> word from several of the Sydney folks that they'd definitely come down
> for the day.

Hey, nice.

> Hosting it at the ANU or UCan strikes me as the ideal location.  Have
> you contacted UCan?

ANU is the preferred option for me. Pia has suggested it's quite
possible and I've emailed both Steven Hanley & Bob Edwards regarding it.
I briefly caught up with Steve Hanley on freenode and he mentioned he'd
look into it. Thanks Steve. :)

> UTS does a great job in Sydney and it earns them a heap of social
> capital among the Sydney tech community.  I only hope that the local
> academic community can be so forthcoming with venue and network
> access.  The venue and bandwidth should definitely be provided in the
> spirit of the BarCamp movement, which is to say, free as in beer.

Definitely to make a point of to whoever hosts us.

> As I said last year, I'd be happy to contribute funding towards the
> day.  I can probably go as high as $500, but would prefer to go
> somewhat lighter with contributions from others.

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully we'll get sponsorship. I might poke Evan
about possibly contributing also.

> We should probably CC this and your original mail to other tech
> companies around Canberra and out to our communities across the 'Net.
> Perhaps your email should be a post on the blog (Andrew, is that you)?

I'll write up a more appropriate email for the businesses and send it
out to a few. What businesses can you think of?

> Let's do it!
>
> Steve

-Pascal