[clug] Automating firefox

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Mon Jan 14 10:25:53 GMT 2008

Michael Cohen <scudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam how would this work? As far as I can tell in js you can issue a
> window.print() which brings up the print dialog but you can not
> actually submit it due to the js security model. Neither can you
> select the output filename. Am i far off the mark?

I'm afraid you've exceeded my knowledge, but I'd be surprised if you
were wrong. Printing with no user input is a dead tree and an empty
expensive ink cartridge waiting to happen.

How much control do you have over the deployment of Firefox? Can you
arrange for a plugin to be installed? I don't think they're constrained
by the same security model. You may be able to control the print dialog.

Here's a couple of Firefox config items to check out:

( from http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Integrate_Firefox_with_KDE )
print.printer_PostScript/Default.print_command
print.always_print_silent

Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au