[clug] Vodafone's HSDPA USB modem

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 07:01:47 GMT 2008

Im using that one. Recently I upgraded to gutsy and successfully used
it. It should technically work out of the box but the device confuses
the linux kernel because it looks like a cdrom first, the kernel picks
it up as a usb cdrom and forgets to use the usbserial driver on it.

The solution seems to be to move the sg.ko, sr_mod.ko out of the way,
rmmod them, then plug the device in
then the usb serial will finally recognise it and then its just a wuvdial away.

Unfortunately you cant use your cdrom when its in as you need to
reinsert those modules to use the cdrom and when you do they steal the
device off the usb serial driver.

I did have some hard locks with the usb serial driver in kernels circa
2.6.20 and am using 2.6.18 on my main firewall/router instead. There
was some dodginess in usbserial which may have been fixed since.

Michael.