[clug] VOIP over Satellite broadband

Keith Goggin kgoggin at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 29 02:44:09 GMT 2008

On Thursday 28 February 2008 22:00:20 Andrew Janke wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Keith Goggin <kgoggin at bigpond.com> wrote:
> >  Switched from Linksys SPA2000 to Linksys WRT54GP2.
>
> Interesting.  I presume this will be a default codec difference?  (I
> have a SPA2000)

Either that or some co-incidental change upstream that I know nothing about. I
need to do more testing.

> >  VOIP over satellite now works OK for TX but still broken up for RX.
>
> In short, my limited experience showed that: VoIP + Satellite ==
> pain/drop-outs/etc.

I got my SPA2000 to work tolerably well on a neighbours Bordernet satellite
connection more than a year ago but only tried it once. The half second delay
was a nuisance but didn't make it unusable.

See also <http://ipstar.com.au/product3.htm>

I suspect some sat service providers might be doing something nasty to third
party voip packets because they intend to provide their own voip service in
the future.

Which is in part why I'm trying to analyse my traffic.

I suspect I should be looking for dropped / out of order packets in tcpdump /
wireshark?

> Perhaps a better bet would be to build a monster 3G antenna...

Yes that might have to be my fall back position. :-(

> Sorry to cast a bit of a shadow! :)  Hope your luck is better.

That's OK thanks for you input.