[clug] VOIP over Satellite broadband

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:00:20 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Keith Goggin <kgoggin at bigpond.com> wrote:
>  Switched from Linksys SPA2000 to Linksys WRT54GP2.

Interesting.  I presume this will be a default codec difference?  (I
have a SPA2000)

>  VOIP over satellite now works OK for TX but still broken up for RX.

In short, my limited experience showed that: VoIP + Satellite ==
pain/drop-outs/etc.

I tried this same sort of setup for my little sis who lives in the
middle of no-where and everything is an STD call. They have a
satellite system of the same ilk as you just described (no other
option when you are 40km west of balranald). I tried with an iinet
SIP, a Firefly SIP and even the satellite providers SIP and all of
them drew blanks. Incoming was OK, outgoing was rubbish. I tried
different adaptors (linksys included), different switches, different
everything.

Eventually it seemed to come down to the fact that satellite internet
access systems are not setup for low lag and to add to this the lag
does not seem to be predictable. ie: fine for email/web. In they end
after countless calls to techies from the satellite network and the
VoIP providers they all said "sorry, other customers have these
problems too and there is little we can do due to the lag that is
inherent in satellite communications."  :(

Perhaps a better bet would be to build a monster 3G antenna...

Sorry to cast a bit of a shadow! :)  Hope your luck is better.

--
Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883