[clug] Thursday: OLPC discussion + a talk

Adam Jenkins adam at snorkel.rtfm.net.au
Tue Feb 26 09:40:41 GMT 2008

> I may just have to content myself with an eee pc. What is xandros like as an
> OS?

I think you mean Xubuntu :-)  I am not very familiar with either, but
xubuntu is what comes with the eee.  It is pretty good though; if you
don't like the Easy Menu, you can pretty easily install a couple of
packages which make it boot into 'full desktop', so it looks the same as
any other KDE based distro.  And once you tell Xubuntu what Debian
repositories you want, you can easily grab new programs.  It comes with
OpenOffice, The GIMP, games, Thunderbird, Skype, Firefox..

I am now trying normal Ubuntu (7.10) on my eee, and it's also good, but
it's taken a bit more fiddling with to get how I want.  There's a tool at
http://code.google.com/p/eee-ubuntu-support/ which makes it easy to do a
lot of the commonly wanted changes, but I still haven't got it working as
well as with Xubuntu.  Ie the camera application (ucview) isn't working
properly, and I can't use the function keys to switch between LCD and
external monitor.  The wireless network app in xubuntu is really helpful
also.

I get the impression the eee is more full-featured than the XO PC.  Which
may or may not be what you're after.