[clug] User authentication problem

Michael James michael at james.st
Fri Feb 15 03:31:06 GMT 2008

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:22:30 pm Michael O'Keeffe wrote:
> We are running SuSE Enterprice 9.x  on one of our servers.
> An important user account had its password expire on us
> (as they do) and after reseting the password we can:
> 1. ssh to the box as another user and then su to the affected account.
> 2. cannot ssh to the box as the affected account
> 	(password authentication failure).

HMMM does running a tail on /var/log/messages
 shed any light on the problem?

root>  tail  -f  /var/log/messages

If the SSH client is on a windows box,
 try with the local ssh client

gooduser at SLES9>  ssh -l baduser localhost
password:

I find things work more reliably for wierd clients
 if you DIS-able ssh1 in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

FWIW,
michaelj

--
There is no perl one line hack
 that a page of java won't do more correctly.