[clug] User authentication problem

Michael O'Keeffe themjwok at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 02:22:30 GMT 2008

Hi all,

We are running SuSE Enterprice 9.x  on one of our servers. An important user
account had its password expire on us (as they do) and after reseting the
password we can:
1. ssh to the box as another user and then su to the affected account.
2. cannot ssh to the box as the affected account (password authentication
failure).

We've restarted sshd, xinetd, double checked the password, and even reset it
again. (My knowledge is somewhat limted here as where else go).
We aren't using PAM, we aren't restricting ssh logons etc.

Can anyone offer some thoughts as to the cause of the problem?

Regards,

Michael