[clug] Eee PC

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Feb 6 05:30:56 GMT 2008

On 06/02/2008, at 15:04 , Ian M wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Pilcher, Fred
> <Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au> wrote:
> <snip>
>>  Has anyone bought one of those flexible USB keyboards? Any
>>  recommendations?
> <snip>
>
> I have one of those membrane keyboards but I can't say I really
> recommend
> them - they're fine on a desk but absolutely hopeless trying to
> type on a
> non-flat surface.

My own experience with the roll-up keyboards is that they're great
for lazy people who don't want to eat pizza with a knife and fork
while at the keyboard. You can just use a sponge to clean the pizza
off the keyboard.

They're hard to type on, in general, and I found my fingers got sore
after using the keyboard for as little as 1 hour. The keys have no
stabilisers on them, so you have to mash the key down to ensure that
the contact is made - if you tap the edge of the key the key will
buckle in that direction, but no contact will be made. There's no
indication
(apart from letters appearing on-screen) that you actually pressed a
key as opposed to simply deforming a corner.

I guess they're interesting for times when you'll be working at a
park bench (but not a flat rock), or typing in the pool/spa. Apart
from that, they're useless and annoying.

Alex