[clug] Tape backups

Gary Woodman antigramp at yahoo.com.au
Fri Feb 1 10:48:58 GMT 2008

--- Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> wrote:

> Alastair D'Silva <alastair at newmillennium.net.au> wrote:
> > I am currently reviewing our tape backup system, and am looking for
> > system that can do the following:
> >
> > 1. Span multiple tapes
> > 2. Support compression/encryption program (preferably in parallel,
> we
> > have a lot of CPU cores available)
> > 3. Compress/encrypt on a per-file basis (minimise data loss with
> bad
> > blocks on a tape)
> > 4. Run in a reasonable amount of time
>
> Amanda can do all of that (if you have a tape changer). I think.

I could vote for Amanda, but I'm not sure about the
compression/encryption, we're not doing that. Performance is a bit
underwhelming too, it takes 3 weeks to back up ~10Tb (manual tape
changer, only one per day). But I suppose you're aware, performance is
a hardware problem :-P

Gary

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail