[clug] Tape backups

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Fri Feb 1 08:43:53 GMT 2008

Alastair D'Silva <alastair at newmillennium.net.au> wrote:
> I am currently reviewing our tape backup system, and am looking for a
> system that can do the following:
>
> 1. Span multiple tapes
> 2. Support compression/encryption program (preferably in parallel, we
> have a lot of CPU cores available)
> 3. Compress/encrypt on a per-file basis (minimise data loss with bad
> blocks on a tape)
> 4. Run in a reasonable amount of time

Amanda can do all of that (if you have a tape changer). I think. The only
bit I'm unsure about is parallel compression/encryption. Amanda can use
arbitrary compression/encryption programs, so making it compress/encrypt
on a file-by-file basis is all up to you.

I think you might be able to wrestle Bacula into doing all of that too.
It's fairly flexible.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au