[clug] Any ideas on what to look for to get an old PC running?

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Mon Dec 22 11:51:44 GMT 2008

I'll second the suggestion of David Schoen, unplug absolutely
everything.  You want to try to isolate the broken component as much as
you can.

You can simulate a power switch with a jumper, screwdriver, screw or any
other metallic object.  Just short the two pins momentarily, don't
connect it permanently.