[clug] Any ideas on what to look for to get an old PC running?

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 06:40:09 GMT 2008

In this situation I always try just unplugging everything I possibly can:
Unplug drives (cdrom, hard drives, floppy if it still has one). I have
seen dead drives prevent machines from booting.
Unplug all PCI/AGP (yes this includes video) cards, anything in the USB.
Remove the RAM.

You should now just have a MB, PSU and CPU. If you press the on switch
and the fans still don't go you've usually got a dead PSU (try a new
one) or leaky capacitors as I think someone else mentioned. Leaky
capacitors are usually visually "bulgey", but not always.

On pulling apart PSUs I've had quite a lot of luck pulling them apart
and getting them going again, with everything from loose screws
shorting out components, to burnt out bits and just too much dust. But
I've also studied a fair bit of electronics and am very very very
careful.

On a side note: Your old pc p4 ... my *good* pc is still a p4 2.4GHz
... maybe it's finally time to upgrade :/ only problem is nothing I
run is noticeably slow :p

- Dave.