[clug] Any ideas on what to look for to get an old PC running?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:44:53 GMT 2008

> You should now just have a MB, PSU and CPU. If you press the on switch
> and the fans still don't go you've usually got a dead PSU

As an aside, I'll note that I very much prefer trying to fix a
'completely dead' machine to attempting to fix an intermittent fault.
So much easier to know when you've nailed it. Your problem should be
easy to fix.

And I'll side with those for whom the dangers of electrickery hold no
mystery. Opening up a PSU is no big deal for a sensible person. Sure,
you may kill yourself if you try hard, but you can do that crossing
the street. What I will suggest is that it is very rarely worth your
while to go that far. On a desert island with just one CPU? Sure, get
inside and fix it. Here and now? Grab an available spare and try it.

--
MC