[clug] Any ideas on what to look for to get an old PC running?

Chris Henman henman at pobox.com
Sun Dec 21 23:08:38 GMT 2008

John,

When you say "nothing happened" what exactly did NOT happen ?  Any
lights? Any exhaust fan starting ?  Any "beeps"; they are usually a
message, like Morse code.
Have you tried another power cord ?  Monitor OK ?
How long has it been out of service?  Have you checked the CMOS battery
if it still uses battery CMOS backup?  Usually a CR 20xx or something.

Just a few thoughts I would try.

Regards,
Chris Henman

jhock wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks to Ian (I love this list. It's so helpful) I have a power cord
> for my old PC (MISI Pentium 4).  I have now unpacked it all from storage
> however, when I switched it on nothing happened.  I don't want to spend
> too much effort on it because I hope to soon get an Eee PC 10 with LINUX
> (Once they are available in Australia) but I thought that I could use
> this one as a proxy, print server, game machine for my five year old,
> wireless modem firewall or something.  (I prefer to reuse than recycle.
> Its more energy saving.)
>
> I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how to get it to work. EG.
> is there likely to be a fuse inside, is there an area which I should
> "jiggle" when I open it, is there a good spot to bang it like they do on
> TV (Fonze type thoughts here)?  ;--)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> John

     Christopher Henman