[clug] Internode and Billion 7401VGP-M

Tim Rayner Tim.Rayner at aarnet.edu.au
Tue Dec 2 06:58:23 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've been on Exetel's Naked ADSL2+ since moving to Canberra in January.
Overall I've been very happy.  I've used a Linksys PAP2 ATA for the
cordless phone connection.  It was a struggle to get it working with NAT
initially, and it gave some voice quality issues - which I eventually
solved by updating the firmware - the rest of the family wanted to throw
away our VoIP phone service by then!  Its working reliably again now,
and we're enjoying the savings of $50 p.m. broadband, and < $10 p.m.
phone bill.

I'd definitely recommend getting an integrated ATA in your router if you
can - will solve any NAT issues, and any upstream QoS will hopefully be
automatic. I don't have any specific experience with this Billion model
though I'm afraid.

I have been very pleased with Exetel as a provider - not much geared up
for supporting clueless end users, but as a technical person, I've had
help from them when I've needed it.

HTH

Tim.
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 17:39 +1100, Ian Bardsley wrote:

> Hi Mike
>
> I've been looking at naked DSL too and at this stage am leaning toward
> iinet. Similar packages to Internode but has the added bonus of offering
> Abc's IVIEW  without usage being added to download allocation.
>
> May be worth a look before your final decision
>
> HIH
>
> Mike Carden wrote:
> > Internode recommend the
> > Billion 7401VGP-M as an all-in-one solution with wired Ethernet,
> > wireless 802.11g and an analogue port for VOIP.

Tim Rayner
ACT Regional Network Manager, AARNet Pty Ltd
street address: Building 9, Banks Street, YARRALUMLA  ACT  2600
postal address:  GPO Box 1559, CANBERRA   ACT   2601
t. +61 2 6222 3573     f. +61 2 6222 3535     e.
Tim.Rayner at aarnet.edu.au
w. www.aarnet.edu.au

important
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and the
rights of confidentiality in such information are not waived or lost by
its mistaken delivery to you.  Any dissemination, copying, use or
disclosure of the email and/or such files without the permission of
AARNet, or the sender, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete
all copies of this transmission.