[clug] backup script?

Rainer Klein rklein at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 30 00:42:50 GMT 2008

Paul,

You might want to check out one of the following projects:

RSNAPSHOT:

 - rsnapshot is a filesystem snapshot utility for making backups of local and
remote systems.
 - facilitates Perl & RSYNC
 - http://rsnapshot.org/

RDIFF-BACKUP:

 - http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/index.html
 - http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/examples.html
Requirements:
 - A POSIX operating system, like Linux, Mac OS X or Cygwin
 - Python v2.2 or later (see http://www.python.org)
 - librsync v0.9.7 or later (note there is a known bug with patch for large
file support) - http://librsync.sourceforge.net
 - The python module pylibacl is optional, but necessary for access control
list support. Download here. Note: there is no support for ACLs on Mac OS X
or Windows.
- wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pylibacl/pylibacl-0.4.0.tar.gz
- The python module pyxattr is optional, but necessary for extended attribute
support. Download here. Mac OS X users require a different xattr library,
which can be downloaded from here.
 - wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pyxattr/pyxattr-0.4.0.tar.gz

FlyBack:
 - Apple's Time Machine is a great feature in their OS, and Linux has almost
all of the required technology already built in to recreate it. This is a
simple GUI to make it easy to use.
 - facilitates RSYNC
 - http://flyback-project.org/

Regards,