[clug] EeePC - back it up!

Ben Chaplin wombat at chapmac.com
Wed Aug 20 07:33:07 GMT 2008

On 20 Aug 2008, at 15:51PM, Robert Edwards wrote:

> The problem (now I am really embarrassed): the wall-wart power supply
> has a dicky little adaptor to allow it to be plugged into an Aussie
> power outlet (I like calling them power points, but apparently some
> large multi-national corporation has trademarked that word!). The
> little
> adaptor had come ever so slightly loose and so my little EeePC wasn't
> getting its recommended daily allowance of joules. Alas, it took me
> several hours and at least one complete disassemble/reassemble to
> notice
> that the little orange "battery charging" light wasn't coming on
> when I
> was attempting to power it back up. :-(

I have mixed feeling about that adapter.  I really like the whole
international design thing (just swap a really cheap piece of plastic
out) but the way it can come loose is positively dangerous.  A couple
of weeks ago I went to unplug mine from one of the General Purpose
Power Point Outlets (c) (also available as open source, the GNU GPPPO
or gGPPPO) and instead of the whole unit releasing itself from the
gGPPPO, the power supply body detached itself from the little
adapter.  The pins on that thing are relatively hidden, but it
wouldn't take too much effort to shock yourself...

And I hear your call about backing up.  My solution is not to keep
anything important on it.

-Ben