[clug] Apache configuration puzzle

Paul Matthews plm at netspace.net.au
Wed Aug 20 07:19:12 GMT 2008

G'day All,

It's been way to long since I've tried to run an apache web server and
have stumbled across a bit of a head scratcher. It is no doubt one of
those really simple to solve problems .. which you can't see until
someone hits you over the head with the solution.

We have to write a lot of cgi scripts at work, and each one needs it's
environment set up. Apparently this can be done by placing the
environment variables into a .htaccess file in the cgi directory. Which
we have done. The real problem is telling the guy who actually runs the
server what to place in the httpd.conf file.

Originally it said the following

<Directory "/data/apache/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride *None*
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

and we have tried the following ...

<Directory "/data/apache/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride *Options=PassEnv,SetEnv,UnsetEnv*
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

... but to no avail. Any assistance with the matter would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.