[clug] EeePC - back it up!

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 20 02:14:38 GMT 2008

For those fellow EeePC owners - don't forget to backup your valuable
data. Although the EeePC uses "safe" Flash memory for secondary storage,
other parts of the system can fail.

At the moment, mine is shutting down seconds after power up (sometimes
it gets to the login screen, but usually not). No idea why.

Unlike the hard drive in a "normal" laptop, the Flash memory can't be
(easily) removed to be plugged into another system. In the case of my
701, it consists of 4 surface mount devices soldered directly onto the
mainboard.

I'll keep on hoping that I can get this thing to boot up long enough
for me to transfer my data off of it, but I am not too hopeful. In the
meantime, anyone got a JEDEC reader that might be used to read the
contents of the Flash devices in circuit?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.