[clug] Drobo data storage (RAID) experiences

Ian darkstarsword at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:08:23 GMT 2008

The crew from the Linux Action Show did a review of the Drobo this week:
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?p=88

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Thomas-M. Stein (Sakia.org)
<thomas-manuel.stein at sakia.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just heard about the Drobo data storage system by Data Robotics which I
> haven't heard of before. Does anybody know more about it?
>
> Here is a summary of various descriptions I have found:
>
> It should run under Windows, Mac, Linux (Linux in beta). There are versions
> with USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 and in combination with droboshare it is a
> network storage. It has several RAID options (?) built in and does take
> various SATA I or SATA II hard disk drives of various sizes, even a
> combination of different sizes! From what I understand it is
> extendable/expandable as you go. Just push in a new drive and it seems to re-
> configures itself etc. always with the best data safety options. Well, I
> heard a very enthusiastic podcast too :-)
> Their website http://www.drobo.com
>
> Any less biased information? ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas-M. Stein
> Griffith (Riverina)
>
> --

On the day *I* go to work for Microsoft, faint oinking sounds will be
heard from far overhead, the moon will not merely turn blue but
develop polkadots, and hell will freeze over so solid the brimstone
will go superconductive.
 -- Erik Raymond, 2005