[clug] Drobo data storage (RAID) experiences

Thomas-M. Stein (Sakia.org) thomas-manuel.stein at sakia.org
Wed Aug 13 08:14:05 GMT 2008

Hi All,

I just heard about the Drobo data storage system by Data Robotics which I
haven't heard of before. Does anybody know more about it?

Here is a summary of various descriptions I have found:

It should run under Windows, Mac, Linux (Linux in beta). There are versions
with USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 and in combination with droboshare it is a
network storage. It has several RAID options (?) built in and does take
various SATA I or SATA II hard disk drives of various sizes, even a
combination of different sizes! From what I understand it is
extendable/expandable as you go. Just push in a new drive and it seems to re-
configures itself etc. always with the best data safety options. Well, I
heard a very enthusiastic podcast too :-)
Their website http://www.drobo.com

Any less biased information? ;-)

Cheers

Thomas