[clug] version control for config files

Steve McInerney steve at stedee.id.au
Thu Aug 7 09:51:39 GMT 2008

on 07/08/08 17:43 jm said the following:
> Does anyone have or know of a good script to backup and revert a set of
> config files, such as those found in /etc, to/from a version control
> system?

1. http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7887/ur0303d/
2. Put the entire /etc directory (so to speak...) under a DVCS (eg bzr), which
is amazingly effective now I've been exposed to & using it.
3. Apparently "etckeeper" which is some sort of front end to #2.
4. what I used to do in previous job was a mix of #1 and some simple
rsync/shell stuff to pull all RCS'd files and the corresponding originals into
a central server for whatever.

cfengine already being mentioned.

So many options... :-)

Cheers!