[clug] FTP Server Question

Ian Matters iristech at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 05:33:35 GMT 2008

Hi Ian - another Ian here.

First some empathy: I have use this sort of thing a few years ago when
my daughter was in Japan for a year a few years back and found it a
great way to keep in touch.

And now not to answer you question: If at all possible I would suggest
that you consider using SFTP on a non-standard port and not FTP on
port 21.  I think that you will get too many people knocking on your
door so to speak.  By that I mean, people trying to break into your
server.

I allow SFTP into my home network (actually one of my Linux boxes) on
a non-standard port instead of port 22 where one would normally expect
to find SSH and SFTP.  It works a treat in a manner more or less what
you are asking for.

Cheers, Ian Matters