[clug] Ubuntu Hardy Heron on Budget Notebook

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed Apr 16 12:22:07 GMT 2008

G'Day list

This is for anyone looking for a new, cheapy (sub $1k) notebook.

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5720 at a very keen price (the
retailer had priced it incorrectly and I imposed the trade practices act).

Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250, 1 Gb Ram, shared graphics, 15.4 wide
screen, 120 Gb HD,  DL DVD Burner, Wlan, 5 in i card reader, built in
web cam.

I decided to try Ubuntu Hardy Beta on it and surprise surprise, with the
exception of the microphone socket and XD Cards in the Card reader, all
features worked "Out of the Box" including Compiz.

The microphone problem was fixed easily courtesy of Google and the issue
of XD cards is a listed bug for which no solution is yet available.

I guess this speaks volumes  for the progress that linux is making with
hardware compatibility.

This is a nice piece of hardware for the money and with a memory upgrade
should perform very well.

Hope this is of interest to someone

Regards to all

Ian Bardsley