[clug] minicom on macbook

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Wed Apr 2 05:18:06 GMT 2008

Deepan wrote:
> Hi All,
> I would like to use serial port in macbook. I
> guess usb to serial port convertor is the only
> possible option. I wonder if it is possible to use
> minicom in macbook to play with serial port (in
> usb to serial port converter). Please let me know
> if anyone has tried it.
> Regards
> Deepan
> Sudoku Solver: http://www.sudoku-solver.net/

Strangely enough I was researching minicom <--> Cisco only a few minutes ago.

I got mine working (gentoo, straight ttyS0), but random strangers on the Internet claim that it's possible for the power voltages applied by the USB converter to damage some equipment; and that this damage is not under warranty, and that it happened to him.

Just something to consider if you're worried about that sort of thing; should be fine with a decent converter, I'd expect that they'd have thought of this, but I've seen similar weirdnesses with Ps/2 <--> Serial

--
Daniel Rose
National Library of Australia