[clug] wireless audio and video

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 26 03:26:55 GMT 2007

I think the main issue here is whether you want/need to have the same
material playing at different stations at the same time (ie. "in sync").

Analogue A/V senders solve this, but it is hard to get more than a
couple of simultaneous signals going (and to keep your neighbours out).

Otherwise, multicasting is the correct solution, but not so well
supported in the FOSS world still. More importantly, a wireless Access
Point (WAP) should be multicast aware, automatically propagating multi-
cast channels that wireless clients are actually wanting to receive,
and ceasing to propagate any channels that are no longer required. The
protocols for doing all this exist, but I am not aware of many home or
small office (ie. low-cost) WAPs that implement them.

802.11g, working optimally at 54Mbps (which it rarely does) should, in
theory, be capable of carrying several (up to about six) standard
resolution (digital-TV-quality) channels over multicast (ie. no
acknowledgements required from the receiving stations). 802.11b, again
working optimally at 11Mbps, should be able to carry one multicast
video stream and a couple of multicast 128kbps MP3 or Ogg audio
channels.

As for actual kit that will do all this - it might be a question of
roll your own as far as the WAP is concerned and low-cost receiving
stations are generally set up for uPnP, which is not-multicast aware.

But the dream is there (I have it too), so we should be able to do
something eventually to make all this work.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.