[clug] Re: Software Feedom Day - Linux problem-solving guide [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

jrc jrc at anbg.gov.au
Mon Sep 17 07:10:35 GMT 2007

> I would not be surprised if it's ye olde 80/20 rule:
> 80% of Windows users would:
> get 80% of the benefit of "Linux" by installing and using
> FOSS applications within Windows
> save 80% of their software costs in the process

The real 80/20 rule is that that 80% of personal users pay for 20% of the
software (include the OS) that they use (and vice versa) - if you are really
lucky...  :)

> The other phenomenon that I strike too often is the "shed PC".

Bit of a problem when the house PC *is* the shed PC... :(

It is obvious I have not been keeping up with the Jones's enough to strut
the message appropriately and impress and amaze friends and visitors - will
start accumulating bits to build a new one this weekend.   Any advice on the
64-bit Ubuntu and what to run it on?  Is it worth the effort/cost at this
stage or are we still a bit early?   Thinking Intel rather than AMD, but
could be convinced otherwise.

jim

------If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.
------