[clug] Kernels are easy, ls is the hard part!

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 10:27:32 GMT 2007

And here I was thinking i could keep my nose out of this one...

> I was unaware that belonging to CLUG required adopting any particular
> credo.
> If I'm mistaken, perhaps you point me at relevant docs.

CLUG?  what is this CLUG thing you speak of? The name is C-GLUG! :)

> This is not a rhetorical question, but one that has concerned me for
> quite some time and both of you, as people to self profess to "getting
> it" with GNU & RMS, should be able to explain to me:

As for my "getting it" with RMS, I must confess that I do support or
at least understand his GNU/Linux stance. I suspect (and hope) that
his thoughts in this regard are to educate others that "Linux" is a
sum of parts, not a single thing from a single "company" as some
journalists would like to believe.

As for whether he is right or wrong to inflate himself I have always
seen it that he has done a lot of good things for "GNU/linux, so for
that I think he should get to speak his mind, even if I don't agree
with it. We (meaning those who support an alternative OS) need
colourful "barefoot scruffy hairy FOSS zealots" as the media would not
be interested in yet another person in a suit. I know he may be
somewhat off-base with some comments, but then you can never keep
everyone happy, so for now I'll just take it that there is no such
thing as bad publicity.

Still if you dont agree with RMS's stance, you can take a stand and
not use GNU software. Choice is what it is all about in any case. :)

>     Why does GNU continue with Hurd now there is a Free (as in beer &
> speech) GPL'd kernel (Linux)?
>
> I eagerly await your exposition on this.

OK, I was not surprised at your original comments or responses and can
sort of understand them being somewhat of a BSD/Linux "newbie" and not
knowing all the history (which incidently I find most interesting),
only ~10 years or so of use now. But this comment about HURD has me
somewhat bemused.

Why shouldn't they? It is for the same reason we have XF86 and Xorg
and KDE, Gnome and XFCE and postfix, sendmail, exim, etc. It is all
about choice is it not?  I long for the day I can try out HURD on
something more than a test machine.

PS: As for the comments about RSI/Tendonitis/etc I sympathise with
RMS, there is nothing worse than _wanting_ to write code and not being
able to. Frustrating comes no-where near describing it.  (I am a
reformed emacs user who now uses vi/nedit! :)