[clug] Kernels are easy, ls is the hard part!

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Sep 13 14:48:50 GMT 2007

[I wasn't going to get into this as the arguments have been had many
times ... but ...]

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:20:04 +1000 Michael Cohen <scudette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hugh, I think you are missing the whole point. Whether you like it or
> not any piece of code licenced under the GPL falls under the name gnu
> software - and by extension is represented by the FSF. Stallman is not
> claiming that he personally wrote all the code in the average linux
> distro - he is just saying that it is gnu code (i.e. released under
> gpl). On this point he is correct.

No.  GNU software comes from the FSF which implies that the FSF owns the
copyright. There is much more software released under the GPL than there
is GNU software.

> All software licenced under GPL is a "GNU bit" because it is released
> under the "GNU public licence"...

Again, those are two different things.

--
Cheers,