[clug] Kernels are easy, ls is the hard part!

Hugh Fisher hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 13 23:56:05 GMT 2007

Michael Cohen wrote:
> Hugh, I think you are missing the whole point. Whether you like it or
> not any piece of code licenced under the GPL falls under the name gnu
> software - and by extension is represented by the FSF. Stallman is not
> claiming that he personally wrote all the code in the average linux
> distro - he is just saying that it is gnu code (i.e. released under
> gpl). On this point he is correct.

This is certainly what RMS wants you to think: that anyone
using the GPL is automatically a supporter of the FSF and
RMS. But it isn't always true, and certainly not for the
Linux kernel. Linus Torvalds has said several times, most
recently during the 'kernel should be GPL 3' debate on the
kernel mailing list that he picked the GPL *license* for
Linux, not the whole FSF philosophy.

(I don't subscribe to the kernel mailing list but various
segments of the debate were linked to from elsewhere.
Google for it.)

--
	Hugh Fisher
	DCS, ANU