[clug] Dumb question? Ubuntu upgrades

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 17 03:17:06 GMT 2007

steve jenkin wrote:
> So there I had a nice Edgy install of Ubuntu on my laptop.
>
> I download Fiesty ISO's, boot the CD's and I've now got *two*
> installations :-(
>
> Obviously missed the bloody obvious :-(
>
> I specifically don't want to 'apt-get upgrade'... Just because :-)
>
> Do Ubuntu release an ISO image that I can upgrade from - or would that
> be the entire apt repository?
>
> So is my only option to do an ISO image 'upgrade', really a wipe &
> reinstall??
>
> Sorry to be asking such a dumb-arsed question...

Haven't done it from edgy to fiesty (didn't keep anything running edgy
for more than the hour or so it took me to decide it was quite broken).
But, in theory (certainly for Debian distros), you can do
"apt-get dist-upgrade" (not the same as "apt-get upgrade" that you don't
want to do, "Just because"). "dist-upgrade" certainly works mostly for
me in going from sarge to etch etc.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.