[clug] Linux on new school computers

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Mon Nov 26 21:38:17 GMT 2007

Rod wrote:
> The greatest good the new government can do for the
> australian student is to have linux as the operating system
> on their computers. How can we as a group help make this happen?
> I think one of the best ways to do this is by politics. Do
> any of you know or have access to any of the labor party
> politicians? What do you think is the best way? Any suggestioons?

Damn good idea. I think the best thing may be to approach Kate Lundy -
perhaps write her a letter outlining the proposition and the benefits,
and asking for a meeting.

We'd need to be clear and concise about what we were proposing, what the
benefits would be, and how it could be implemented. It would be good if
we could cite some of the successes that other school systems around the
world have had in implementing Linux - Brendan Scott's OSWALD, the Open
Source Law Weekly Digest [oswald at opensourcelaw.biz], would provide us
with all the examples we could wish for. We'd need a few of us to draft
the letter, and to choose two or three of us to meet with Kate.

I'm happy to volunteer to work on it.

Fred